Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Seizing every opportunity


This is one of those arty photographs the woman is into now that she has a cellphone camera and doesn't worry about wasting film. It is me, rolling over when she comes through a doorway.
I know, I know, all you Kittens out there roll over all the time, so what's the big deal? This: I have trained her to give me a sequence of treats when I roll over at a certain spot on the Berber rug.
She doesn't do it every time. Kittens are erratic, but they have nothing on human beings. You can't count on them for anything. They might even pack Luggage and then not go on a trip. Or they might go and be gone one night or six nights or for all you know, never come back.
Basically, the woman comes out of her study mid-morning, I can usually count on my treats. One for rolling over and back. One for round-and-round (don't ask). One for Big Tall Cat, which is my yoga. And one for Go to the library and pick out a book. This is one of her little conceits, putting a Dentabite on the basketry trunk that she keeps library books in. Well, she's a Poet.
I alertly assume rollover readiness whenever she goes out of the house, even to check the mail. Or sometimes, if I have nothing else to do---and of course, being a cat in a house on a ravine keeps you busy, what with windows and screened porch and all---I just lie there and watch. I probably get treat squence at least 3 times a day. Beyond that, I choose not to count. I probably could if I wanted to. But I am the cat.

No comments: